BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Black Friday and Cyber Monday



Just ten more days to the biggest shopping day within the year - Black Friday. Are you all ready for it? When I first came here, I heard my friends say something about it but actually, I had no idea what Black Friday was. On Black Friday last year, I had breakfast at 1 o'clock in the morning and got in line in front of Kolh's since 3 a.m. to get in the store. It was a very long line of people even though it was frozen outside. I was also impressed with many people stayed in tents in front of Best Buy from the night before Black Friday. I also went to Toys "R" Us and Old Navy at Greenwood Mall. Everywhere was full of people grabbing stuff and waiting in very long line to check out. In general, I understand that Black Friday is the Friday right after Thanksgiving Day and it is the biggest shopping day during the year with everything on big sale.
I always wondered why people called this Friday "Black" until I read about this term on Wikipedia. The term Black Friday means different things in different contexts. Back to the nineteenth century, it was associated with the financial crisis in 1869. In 1966, the Philadelphia Police Department has given the name "Black Friday" to the Friday following Thanksgiving Day to describe Christmas shopping season in center city where massive traffic jams and over-crowded sidewalks took place as the downtown stores opened. More recently, merchants and the media have used "Black Friday" refer to the beginning of the period in which retailers go from being in the red (loss) to being in the black (turning a profit).
Cyber Monday is a marketing term for the Monday immediately following Black Friday in the United States. The term was used since 2005. Just as Black Friday, Cyber Monday is the biggest online shopping day of the year. In general, the spending incurs on Black Friday and Cyber Monday has considerably jumped.
This year, instead of waiting in the cold to get in stores, I would prefer staying at home and shopping online. So excited about it!

You can read more about these days here:
Black Friday
Cyber Monday

0 comments: